By now, most of you know that we manage our Manor Lake Assisted Living & Memory Care blog for the benefit of all of you at home in the Ellijay area caring for your loved one with senior assisted living needs and/or memory care challenges. We do this because you are neighbors and friends, but most importantly, because we view you as heroes. As professional care givers, we know the challenges that you face. And we want to do our part to help. Today we’re going to discuss how to welcome the changing of the season from Summer to Fall. We’ll give you all some Fall-season themed ideas to engage upon with your loved ones. We offer this while crediting dailycaring.com as the source for these ideas.
Enjoy fall-themed coloring pages
Coloring is an activity that everyone can enjoy, from the very young to the very old, as a solo activity or with others.
As an added bonus, psychologists say that coloring has stress-busting abilities similar to meditating.
There are hundreds of free, fall-themed coloring pages available online, here are some of our favorites:
- Autumn scenes with people, trees/leaves, pumpkins, scarecrows, and squirrels
- A variety of fun fall scenes including fall scenes and animals, trees/leaves, pumpkins/squash, and Halloween-themed pages
- 24 fun Halloween designs including a few classic Disney characters
Work on a fall-themed jigsaw puzzle
Sitting at the table with a warm beverage and a festive puzzle is a great way to celebrate the season.
Here are some of our favorites:
- Wildbird Gathering – beautiful birds in nature, a 35-piece sequenced puzzle with color coding to designed for people with Alzheimer’s or dementia
- Good Companions – 100-piece puzzle, a group of cute and friendly pets
- Lighthouse Park – 300-piece puzzle, a beautiful lighthouse surrounded by the sea and autumn trees
- Central Park Paradise – 500-piece puzzle, a fall scene in New York’s Central Park with a stone bridge over a pond, horse and carriage, and trees with changing leaves
Prepare festive (and easy!) homemade treats
Baking, mixing, and assembly are fun activities that many older adults will enjoy.
Mmmm! Try these delicious and easy-to-make treats:
- Baked apple roses – easy to make and they truly look like gorgeous roses
- Baked apples with oatmeal streusel topping – simple, healthy, and delicious
- No bake pumpkin cheesecake – cheesecake, pumpkin, no baking…what could be better?
- Soft glazed pumpkin sugar cookies – add some pumpkin spice to a classic cookie
Enjoy the natural scenery and fresh air
Fall is a wonderful time to enjoy nature with your older adult.
Bundle up and breathe the fresh air, admire the beautiful colors on display, and hear the crunch of fallen leaves as you walk.
Be sure to wear face masks (unless it’s not safe for your older adult’s health conditions) and keep a safe distance from other people.
Adapt activities to suit different mobility levels:
- Open a window to smell the fresh air and take in the scenery
- Relax in the backyard or on the porch
- Walk to the mailbox and back
- Stroll a block or two in the neighborhood
- Walk through a local park
Manor Lake Assisted Living & Memory Care here in Ellijay offers a wide range of care options that can help alleviate some of the stress, anxiety, and fatigue that come with caregiving on one’s own. We understand that taking care of aging loved ones can progress from slightly challenging to completely overwhelming in a matter of days, but we are here to support your family every step of the way. We offer senior assisted living and professional memory care services here in Ellijay and we will work with you to determine what is right for you and your loved ones. Now may be the time to have that discussion. Contact us today.